Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Ed Tomlinson wrote:
The patch _does_ make a difference. For instance reading mail with freenet working hard (threaded java application) and gentoo's emerge triggering compiles to update the box is much smoother.

Think this scheduler needs serious looking at.

I agree, partly because it's obviously been getting rave reviews so far, but mainly because it looks like you can think about behaviour a lot better, something that was always very hard with the interactivity boosters with process state history.

I'm not at all opposed to this, but we do need:
 - to not do it at this stage in the stable kernel
 - to let it sit in -mm for at least a short while
 - and generally more people testing more loads.

Please, could you now rethink plugable scheduler as well? Even if one had to be chosen at boot time and couldn't be change thereafter, it would still allow a few new thoughts to be included.

I don't actually worry too much about switching out a CPU scheduler: those things are places where you *can* largely read the source code and get an idea for them (although with the kind of history state that we currently have, it's really really hard). But at the very least they aren't likely to have subtle bugs that show up elsewhere, so...

I confess that the default scheduler works for me most of the time, i/o tuning is more productive. I want tot test with kvm load, but 2.6.21-rc3-git3 doesn't want to run kvm at all, I'm looking to see what I broke, since nbd doesn't work, either.

I'm collecting OOPS now, will forward when I have a few more.

So as long as the generic concerns above are under control, I'll happily try something like this if it can be merged early in a merge window..

                        Linus

--
Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>