On Monday 12 March 2007 13:25, Frank van Maarseveen wrote:
[snip]
> So, are /dev/hd* going to disappear in a few years? iow, does it make
> sense to _slowly_ start to migrate to /dev/sd*?

How would you propose doing this? I'm sure modern distros with an
initrd/initramfs probably already do some sort of root detection. Doesn't fix
the fstab issue, but I suppose this could be auto-generated too.

> The problem is there's no plan B in case of any troubles except rename
> everything back again to boot an old kernel.

I doubt this matters for distributors, as they'll simply switch over when you
upgrade the distro, and the earliest supported kernel will be the one that
shipped with the newer version.

I accept that it's a bit of a drag, but it's better to have a standard naming
convention for all disks, isn't it?

Glad this is working for you.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.