Arjan van de Ven wrote:
Hi,

your code looks very nice and clean, only few comments, see below
Thanks
+static int mdps_joystick_kthread(void *data)
+{
+       int x = 0, y = 0, z = 0;
+
+       while (!kthread_should_stop()) {
+               if (input_3d) {
+                       mdps_get_xyz(mdps.device->handle, &x, &y, &z);
+                       input_report_abs(mdps.idev, ABS_Z, z - mdps.zcalib);
+               } else
+                       mdps_get_xy(mdps.device->handle, &x, &y);
+
+               input_report_abs(mdps.idev, ABS_X, x - mdps.xcalib);
+               input_report_abs(mdps.idev, ABS_Y, y - mdps.ycalib);
+
+               input_sync(mdps.idev);
+
+               try_to_freeze();
+               msleep_interruptible(MDPS_POLL_INTERVAL);
+       }

what if you get a signal? you probably at least want to handle that
somehow. Also, waking up every 30 miliseconds is going to suck up
power ... but that might not be avoidable I suppose if you have to poll
the hardware.
How do I handle signals in kthreads? I looked at quite a few kthreads in the drivers sources, but couldn't
find even one example that has any explicit handling of signals.

+
+       atomic_set(&mdps.count, 0);
+
+       ret = request_irq(mdps.irq, mdps_irq, 0, "mdps", mdps_irq);

don't you want to allow shared interrupts?
I had some problems with that before (2.6.19 I think), but in 2.6.21-rc4 it seems OK, so I will allow shared interrupts in my next version.
+       if (ret) {
+               printk(KERN_ERR "mdps: IRQ%d allocation failed\n", mdps.irq);
+               return -ENODEV;
+       }

wouldn't you want to inc the atomic in this case?
You are right. I missed that after refactoring the code before.
+static ssize_t mdps_misc_read(struct file *file, char __user *buf,
+                              size_t count, loff_t *pos)
+{
+       DECLARE_WAITQUEUE(wait, current);
+       u32 data;
+       ssize_t retval = count;
+
+       if (count != sizeof(u32))
+               return -EINVAL;
+
+       add_wait_queue(&mdps.misc_wait, &wait);
+       for (;;) {
+               set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);
+               data = atomic_xchg(&mdps.count, 0);
+               if (data)
+                       break;
+
+               if (file->f_flags & O_NONBLOCK) {
+                       retval = -EAGAIN;
+                       goto out;
+               }
+
+               if (signal_pending(current)) {
+                       retval = -ERESTARTSYS;
+                       goto out;
+               }
+
+               schedule();
+       }
+
+       if (copy_to_user(buf, &data, sizeof(data)))

I'm not entirely sure you want to go into copy_to_user() with a
TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE state, I would feel a lot better if you did an
explicit __set_current_state(TASK_RUNNING) just before this.
Done.
+               retval = -EFAULT;
+
+out:
+       set_current_state(TASK_RUNNING);

.. which you do here anyway

mdps_get_resource(struct acpi_resource *resource, void *context)
+{
+       if (resource->type == ACPI_RESOURCE_TYPE_EXTENDED_IRQ) {
+               struct acpi_resource_extended_irq *irq;
+               u32 *device_irq = context;
+
+               irq = &resource->data.extended_irq;
+               *device_irq = irq->interrupts[0];

eh wait.. if this thing gives you an interrupt.. why do you need to poll
every 30 msec? am I missing something?

The problem is that if I use interrupts for mouse-like behavior, I have no way of knowing (unless I do some hacks to remember the last position and see if it changed more than some threshold, or something like that - I'm not sure that at this point I can do that reliably) what was the source of the interrupt - was that motion or free-fall event. This means I can't both use it as joystick and detect when the laptop is falling. That's why I use the interrupts for free-fall events (as it was intended for this chip in the laptop context), and use polling for mouse like behavior. This is the same approach
as other accelerometer drivers in the kernel (hdaps and ams).