Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Willy Tarreau wrote:
Linus, you're unfair with Con. He initially was on this position, and lately
worked with Mike by proposing changes to try to improve his X responsiveness.

I was not actually so much speaking about Con, as about a lot of the tone in general here. And yes, it's not been entirely black and white. I was very happy to see the "try this patch" email from Al Boldi - not because I think that patch per se was necessarily the right fix (I have no idea), but simply because I think that's the kind of mindset we need to have.

Not a lot of people really *like* the old scheduler, but it's been tweaked over the years to try to avoid some nasty behaviour. I'm really hoping that RSDL would be a lot better (and by all accounts it has the potential for that), but I think it's totally naïve to expect that it won't need some tweaking too.

So I'll happily still merge RSDL right after 2.6.21 (and it won't even be a config option - if we want to make it good, we need to make sure *everybody* tests it), but what I want to see is that "can do" spirit wrt tweaking for issues that come up.

May I suggest that if you want proper testing that it not only should be a config option but a boot time option as well? Otherwise people will be comparing an old scheduler with an RSDL kernel, and they will diverge as time goes on.

More people would be willing to reboot and test on a similar load than will keep two versions of the kernel around. And if you get people testing RSDL against a vendor kernel which might be hacked, it will be even less meaningful.

Please consider the benefits of making RSDL the default scheduler, and leaving people with the old scheduler with an otherwise identical kernel as a fair and meaningful comparison.

There, that's a technical argument ;-)

Because let's face it - nothing is ever perfect. Even a really nice conceptual idea always ends up hitting the "but in real life, things are ugly and complex, and we've depended on behaviour X in the past and can't change it, so we need some tweaking for problem Y".

And everything is totally fixable - at least as long as people are willing to!

                Linus

--
Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>