On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Chris Brandt <chris.bra...@renesas.com> wrote:
> On Friday, April 28, 2017, Linus Walleij wrote:
>> > For me it looks like you are trying to alias open-drain + bias or
>> > alike. Don't actually see the benefit of it.
>>
>> Andy is bringing up a valid point. And I remember asking about this before.
>>
>> What does "bi-directional" really mean, electrically speaking?

> Take the SDHI data pins. You send AND receive data over those pins (and they
> are not open drain).

Can you point to schematics and electrical characteristics of such buffer?
(Yes, I can imagine one case where it's possible to have an
"automatic" switch based on which current is bigger output of your
side or remote's. But! I would like to see actual specifications to
prove this or otherwise.)

> The issue is that the PFC HW that enables the connections between the SDHI IP
> block and the I/O pad buffers can only enable one path/signal/direction to
> the buffer enables (in or out). So for a pin that needs both directions, the
> PFC enables output and the "bidirectional register" is used to enable the
> input buffer as well.

> In the RZ/A1 HW manual you can kind of see that in 54.18 Port Control Logical
> Diagram (but that wasn't obvious to me at first).

Please, post a link to it or copy essential parts.
I'm quite skeptical  that cheap hardware can implement something more
costable than simplest open-source / open-drain + bias.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko