Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Thu 18-05-17 22:57:10, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> > Michal Hocko wrote:
> > > It is racy and it basically doesn't have any allocation context so we
> > > might kill a task from a different domain. So can we do this instead?
> > > There is a slight risk that somebody might have returned VM_FAULT_OOM
> > > without doing an allocation but from my quick look nobody does that
> > > currently.
> >
> > I can't tell whether it is safe to remove out_of_memory() from
> > pagefault_out_of_memory().  There are VM_FAULT_OOM users in fs/
> > directory. What happens if pagefault_out_of_memory() was called as a
> > result of e.g. GFP_NOFS allocation failure?
>
> Then we would bypass GFP_NOFS oom protection and could trigger a
> premature OOM killer invocation.

Excuse me, but I couldn't understand your answer.

We have __GFP_FS check in out_of_memory(). If we remove out_of_memory() from
pagefault_out_of_memory(), pagefault_out_of_memory() called as a result of
a !__GFP_FS allocation failure won't be able to call oom_kill_process().
Unless somebody else calls oom_kill_process() via a __GFP_FS allocation
request, a thread which triggered a page fault event will spin forever.

> > Is it guaranteed that all memory allocations that might occur from
> > page fault event (or any action that might return VM_FAULT_OOM)
> > are allowed to call oom_kill_process() from out_of_memory() before
> > reaching pagefault_out_of_memory() ?
>
> The same applies here.

So, my question is, can pagefault_out_of_memory() be called as a result of
an allocation request (or action) which cannot call oom_kill_process() ?
Please answer with "yes" or "no".

> > Anyway, I want
> >
> >     /* Avoid allocations with no watermarks from looping endlessly */
> > -   if (test_thread_flag(TIF_MEMDIE))
> > +   if (alloc_flags == ALLOC_NO_WATERMARKS && test_thread_flag(TIF_MEMDIE))
> >             goto nopage;
> >
> > so that we won't see similar backtraces and memory information from both
> > out_of_memory() and warn_alloc().
>
> I do not think this is an improvement and it is unrelated to the
> discussion here.

If we allow current thread to allocate memory when current thread was
chosen as an OOM victim by giving current thread a chance to do
ALLOC_NO_WATERMARKS allocation request, all memory allocation requests
that might occur from page fault event will likely succeed and thus
prevent current thread from selecting next OOM victim by calling
out_of_memory() from pagefault_out_of_memory().