On Friday, October 06, 2017, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> This is still missing a proper API for accessing the file system,
> as said before specifying a physical address in the mount command
> line is a an absolute non-no.
>
> Either work with the mtd folks to get the mtd core down to an absolute
> minimum suitable for you, or figure out a way to specify fs nodes
> through DT or similar.

On my system, the QSPI Flash is memory mapped and set up by the boot
loader. In order to test the upstream kernel, I use a squashfs image and
mtd-rom.

So, 0x18000000 is the physical address of flash as it is seen by the
CPU.

Is there any benefit to doing something similar to this?

        /* File System */
        /* Requires CONFIG_MTD_ROM=y */
        qspi@18000000 {
                compatible = "mtd-rom";
                probe-type = "map_rom";
                reg = <0x18000000 0x4000000>;   /* 64 MB*/
                bank-width = <4>;
                device-width = <1>;

                #address-cells = <1>;
                #size-cells = <1>;

                partition@800000 {
                        label ="user";
                        reg = <0x0800000 0x800000>; /* 8MB @ 0x18800000 */
                        read-only;
                };
        };

Of course this basically ioremaps the entire space on probe, but I think
what you really want to do is just ioremap pages at a time (maybe..I
might not be following your code correctly)

Chris