On 12/15/17 2:00 AM, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 05:28:52PM -0800, Nitin Gupta wrote:
>> Currently, if the THP enabled policy is "always", or the mode
>> is "madvise" and a region is marked as MADV_HUGEPAGE, a hugepage
>> is allocated on a page fault if the pud or pmd is empty.  This
>> yields the best VA translation performance, but increases memory
>> consumption if some small page ranges within the huge page are
>> never accessed.
>>
>> An alternate behavior for such page faults is to install a
>> hugepage only when a region is actually found to be (almost)
>> fully mapped and active.  This is a compromise between
>> translation performance and memory consumption.  Currently there
>> is no way for an application to choose this compromise for the
>> page fault conditions above.
>>
>> With this change, when an application issues MADV_DONTNEED on a
>> memory region, the region is marked as "space-efficient". For
>> such regions, a hugepage is not immediately allocated on first
>> write.  Instead, it is left to the khugepaged thread to do
>> delayed hugepage promotion depending on whether the region is
>> actually mapped and active. When application issues
>> MADV_HUGEPAGE, the region is marked again as non-space-efficient
>> wherein hugepage is allocated on first touch.
>
> I think this would be NAK. At least in this form.
>
> What performance testing have you done? Any numbers?

I wrote a throw-away code which mmaps 128G area and writes to a random
address in a loop. Together with writes, madvise(MADV_DONTNEED) are
issued at another random addresses. Writes are issued with 70%
probability and DONTNEED with 30%. With this test, I'm trying to emulate
workload of a large in-memory hash-table.

With the patch, I see that memory bloat is much less severe.
I've uploaded the test program with the memory usage plot here:

https://gist.github.com/nitingupta910/42ddf969e17556d74a14fbd84640ddb3

THP was set to 'always' mode in both cases but the result would be the
same if madvise mode was used instead.

> Making whole vma "space_efficient" just because somebody freed one page
> from it is just wrong. And there's no way back after this.

I'm using MADV_DONTNEED as a hint that although user wants to
transparently use hugepages but at the same time wants to be more
conservative with respect to memory usage. If a MADV_HUGEPAGE is issued
for a VMA range after any DONTNEEDs then the space_efficient bit is
again cleared, so we revert back to allocating hugepage on fault on
empty pud/pmd.

>> Orabug: 26910556
>
> Wat?

It's oracle internal identifier used to track this work.

Thanks,
Nitin