On 12/27/17 8:16 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 19:45:42 -0800
Alexei Starovoitov <a...@fb.com> wrote:

I don't think that's the case. My reading of current
trace_kprobe_ftrace() -> arch_check_ftrace_location()
is that it will not be true for old mcount case.

In the old mcount case, you can't use ftrace to return without calling
the function. That is, no modification of the return ip, unless you
created a trampoline that could handle arbitrary stack frames, and
remove them from the stack before returning back to the function.

correct. I was saying that trace_kprobe_ftrace() won't let us do
bpf_override_return with old mcount.

As far as the rest of your arguments it very much puzzles me that
you claim that this patch suppose to work based on historical
reasoning whereas you did NOT test it.

I believe that Masami is saying that the modification of the IP from
kprobes has been very well tested. But I'm guessing that you still want
a test case for using kprobes in this particular instance. It's not the
implementation of modifying the IP that you are worried about, but the
implementation of BPF using it in this case. Right?

exactly. No doubt that old code works.
But it doesn't mean that bpf_override_return() will continue to
work in kprobes that are not ftrace based.
I suspect Josef's existing test case will cover this situation.
Probably only special .config is needed to disable ftrace, so
"kprobe on entry but not ftrace" check will kick in.
But I didn't get an impression that this situation was tested.
Instead I see only logical reasoning that it's _supposed_ to work.
That's not enough.