On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 09:21:56PM +0100, Cyrille Pitchen wrote:
> Hi Bjorn,
>
> Le 28/12/2017 à 23:47, Bjorn Helgaas a écrit :
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 07:16:01PM +0100, Cyrille Pitchen wrote:
> >> This patch cleans drivers/Makefile up by moving the pci/endpoint and
> >> pci/dwc entries from drivers/Makefile into drivers/pci/Makefile.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for doing this!
> >
> > s/This patch cleans/Clean up/
> >

> updated for the next series
>
> > Speaking of cleanup, this Makefile has useless comments and blank
> > lines.  Maybe you could add a new patch to remove them and reorder it
> > into a sensible order, with the Intel MID special case at the end and
> > the host/dwc/cadence stuff together?
> >

> OK, I'm working on it. So right now I'm trying to sort entries by
> alphabetical order but the first test has just failed: kernel oops
> when calling pcied_init().

Sorting isn't a big deal.  The blank lines and useless comments do
make it hard to scan, but if we can't sort them, I'm fine with that.

But I *am* curious about the failure you observed.  That sounds like
we might have a dependency bug there and I'd like to fix that.  I
don't like to rely on link ordering because it's invisible in the
source code.

Can you post the reordering patch you used so I can investigate it?

> I guess there are more hidden dependencies than expected, solved by the
> link order. This cleanup might bit risky after all, especially since I
> won't be able to test all combinations or with all possible hardwares.

Bjorn