On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 19:37:14 -0800
Matthew Wilcox <wi...@infradead.org> wrote:

> I've done this as the first line of my new documentation files:
>
> .. SPDX-License-Identifier: CC-BY-SA-4.0
>
> I think this is the CC license that's closest in spirit to the GPL without
> the unintended consequences of the GPL when used on documentation.  The
> GFDL seems to be out of favour these days.

I think that's a great license.  I still fear that it is not suitable for
kernel documentation, though, especially when we produce documents that
include significant text from the (GPL-licensed) kernel source.  The
result is almost certainly not distributable, and I don't think that's a
good thing.  The GPL is not perfect for documentation, but I don't think
that we have a better alternative for in-kernel docs.

jon