From: Andy Shevchenko

(Let's not argue about the instruction mnemonic).

You might expect that, but last time I looked at the bus cycles on a PCIe slave
that wasn't what I saw.

> The side-effect I referred previously is about tails, i.e. unaligned
> bytes are transferred in portions
> like
>   7 on 64-bit will be  4 + 2 + 1,
>   5 = 4 + 1

on 64bit memcpy() is allowed to do:
        (long *)(tgt+len)[-1] = (long *)(src+len)[-1];
        rep_movsq(tgt, src, len >> 3);
provided the length is at least 8.

The misaligned PCIe transfer generates a single TLP covering 12 bytes with the
relevant byte enables set for the first and last 32bit words.

        David