On 03/05/2018 12:35 PM, Dave Hansen wrote:
On 03/05/2018 11:29 AM, Khalid Aziz wrote:
ADI data is per page data and is held in the spare bits in the RAM. It
is loaded into the cache when data is loaded from RAM and flushed out to
spare bits in the RAM when data is flushed from cache. Sparc allows one
tag for each ADI block size of data and ADI block size is same as
cacheline size.

Which does not square with your earlier assertion "ADI data is per page
data".  It's per-cacheline data.  Right?

That is one way to look at it. Current sparc processors do implement same ADI block size as cacheline size but architecture does not require ADI block size to be same as cacheline size. If those two sizes were different, we wouldn't call it cacheline data.

When a page is loaded into RAM from swap space, all of
the associated ADI data for the page must also be loaded into the RAM,
so it looks like page level data and storing it in page level software
data structure makes sense. I am open to other suggestions though.

Do you have a way to tell that data is not being thrown away?  Like if
the ADI metadata is different for two different cachelines within a
single page?

Yes, since access to tagged data is made using pointers with ADI tag embedded in the top bits, any mismatch between what app thinks the ADI tags should be and what is stored in the RAM for corresponding page will result in exception. If ADI data gets thrown away, we will get an ADI tag mismatch exception. If ADI tags for two different ADI blocks on a page are different when app expected them to be the same, we will see an exception on access to the block with wrong ADI data.

--
Khalid