>  I've seen the response that peers directly below a Root Port could not
> DMA to each other through the Root Port because of the "route to self"
> issue, and I'm not disputing that.

Bjorn

You asked me for a reference to RTS in the PCIe specification. As luck would
have it I ended up in an Irish bar with Peter Onufryk this week at OCP Summit.
We discussed the topic. It is not explicitly referred to as "Route to Self" and
it's certainly not explicit (or obvious) but r6.2.8.1 of the PCIe 4.0
specification discusses error conditions for virtual PCI bridges. One of these
conditions (given in the very first bullet in that section) applies to a
request that is destined for the same port it came in on. When this occurs the
request must be terminated as a UR.

Stephen