On 04/17/2018 10:59 AM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:29:05PM -0700, Dongwon Kim wrote:
Yeah, I definitely agree on the idea of expanding the use case to the
general domain where dmabuf sharing is used. However, what you are
targetting with proposed changes is identical to the core design of
hyper_dmabuf.

On top of this basic functionalities, hyper_dmabuf has driver level
inter-domain communication, that is needed for dma-buf remote tracking
(no fence forwarding though), event triggering and event handling, extra
meta data exchange and hyper_dmabuf_id that represents grefs
(grefs are shared implicitly on driver level)
This really isn't a positive design aspect of hyperdmabuf imo. The core
code in xen-zcopy (ignoring the ioctl side, which will be cleaned up) is
very simple & clean.

If there's a clear need later on we can extend that. But for now xen-zcopy
seems to cover the basic use-case needs, so gets the job done.
After we decided to remove DRM PRIME code from the zcopy driver
I think we can extend the existing Xen drivers instead of introducing
a new one:
gntdev [1], [2] - to handle export/import of the dma-bufs to/from grefs
balloon [3] - to allow allocating CMA buffers
Also it is designed with frontend (common core framework) + backend
(hyper visor specific comm and memory sharing) structure for portability.
We just can't limit this feature to Xen because we want to use the same
uapis not only for Xen but also other applicable hypervisor, like ACORN.
See the discussion around udmabuf and the needs for kvm. I think trying to
make an ioctl/uapi that works for multiple hypervisors is misguided - it
likely won't work.

On top of that the 2nd hypervisor you're aiming to support is ACRN. That's
not even upstream yet, nor have I seen any patches proposing to land linux
support for ACRN. Since it's not upstream, it doesn't really matter for
upstream consideration. I'm doubting that ACRN will use the same grant
references as xen, so the same uapi won't work on ACRN as on Xen anyway.

So I am wondering we can start with this hyper_dmabuf then modify it for
your use-case if needed and polish and fix any glitches if we want to
to use this for all general dma-buf usecases.
Imo xen-zcopy is a much more reasonable starting point for upstream, which
can then be extended (if really proven to be necessary).

Also, I still have one unresolved question regarding the export/import flow
in both of hyper_dmabuf and xen-zcopy.

@danvet: Would this flow (guest1->import existing dmabuf->share underlying
pages->guest2->map shared pages->create/export dmabuf) be acceptable now?
I think if you just look at the pages, and make sure you handle the
sg_page == NULL case it's ok-ish. It's not great, but mostly it should
work. The real trouble with hyperdmabuf was the forwarding of all these
calls, instead of just passing around a list of grant references.
-Daniel

Regards,
DW