On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 3:02 AM, James Bottomley
<j...@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-04-16 at 20:12 -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
>> I still haven't figured this out, though... any have a moment to look
>> at this?
>
> Just to let you know you're not alone ... but I can't make any sense of
> this either.  The bfdq is the elevator_data, which is initialised when
> the scheduler is attached, so it shouldn't change.  Is it possible to
> set a data break point on elevator_data after it's initialised and see
> if it got changed by something?

Yeah, it seems like some pointer chain is getting overwritten outside
of a lock or rcu or ?. I don't know this code well enough to guess at
where to check, though. What I find so strange is that the structure
offsets are different between bfpd's rq_in_driver field and
scsi_request's sense field, so even THAT doesn't look to be clear-cut
either:

struct bfq_data {
        struct request_queue *     queue;                /*     0     8 */
        struct list_head           dispatch;             /*     8    16 */
        struct bfq_group *         root_group;           /*    24     8 */
        struct rb_root             queue_weights_tree;   /*    32     8 */
        struct rb_root             group_weights_tree;   /*    40     8 */
        int                        busy_queues;          /*    48     4 */
        int                        wr_busy_queues;       /*    52     4 */
        int                        queued;               /*    56     4 */
        int                        rq_in_driver;         /*    60     4 */

struct scsi_request {
        unsigned char              __cmd[16];            /*     0    16 */
        unsigned char *            cmd;                  /*    16     8 */
        short unsigned int         cmd_len;              /*    24     2 */

        /* XXX 2 bytes hole, try to pack */

        int                        result;               /*    28     4 */
        unsigned int               sense_len;            /*    32     4 */
        unsigned int               resid_len;            /*    36     4 */
        int                        retries;              /*    40     4 */

        /* XXX 4 bytes hole, try to pack */

        void *                     sense;                /*    48     8 */

This is _so_ weird. :P

-Kees

--
Kees Cook