On Thu, 17 May 2018, Vince Weaver wrote:

> On Thu, 17 May 2018, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> with cortex-a7 now, would it be possible to later drop that if proper
> cortex-a53 support is added to the armv7 pmu driver?  Or would that lead
> to all kinds of back-compatability mess?

For what it's worth, the pi-foundation kernel bcm2710 device tree file
does:

                arm-pmu {
#ifdef RPI364
                        compatible = "arm,armv8-pmuv3", "arm,cortex-a7-pmu";
#else
                        compatible = "arm,cortex-a7-pmu";
#endif
                        interrupt-parent = <&local_intc>;
                        interrupts = <9>;
                };

Which is probably where I was getting the arm,armv8-pmuv3 from in my
original patch.

Vince