On 06/12/2018 01:39 PM, Jayant Chowdhary wrote:
> Hi Randy,
> On 06/11/2018 10:49 PM, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>> Here is what I have so far. It begins with a makefile and some
>> template files that are added to. There's a good bit of Perl also.
>> I put all of these files in tools/uapi/ and run them from there.
>> There is one .c file generated for each .h file in builddir/usr/include
> Thanks for this! I wrote a small Makefile (uapi-compile.mk) which I'd put in
> tools/build (I can change this to tools/uapi, if that is more apt).
Your makefile foo is much better than mine is.
Yes, I think that it deserves to be in its own sub-directory.
> uapi-compile.mk straight-away compiles the uapi headers, without pulling them
> into any generated c source files. It may also be invoked with an environment
Hm, I didn't even know that is possible.
> variable 'UAPI_DIR' specifying the directory, for which the user would like to
> compile headers. This way we can test a directory at a time as well. In your
Yes, good, I was planning to make a way to restrict the build to certain
> opinion, would this be simpler to have rather than having to auto-generate c
> source files including each uapi header and also autog-enerating the make
> targets? I feel like this approach would make maintaining these makefiles/
> scripts easier as well.
Sure, this is much better than my scripts.
>> Out of 889 header files, I see 45 errors. That is better than I expected.
>> The makefiles and scripts are attached (tar), as well as the output (I used
>> 'make -ik' so that make would keep going after errors and attempt to build
>> all target files).
>> have fun!
> I did a 'make ARCH=arm64 headers_install' from the kernel source's root, and
> then a 'make -kf uapi-compile.mk all > build.log 2>&1' to compile all the
> headers. Out of 864 headers, I see 20 compilation failures.
> I'm attaching uapi-compile.mk and the build.log file along.
I have some usage comments.
Since I ran 'make ARCH=x86_64 O=xx64 headers_install', I had to modify
uapi-compile.mk to use that SRC_DIR:
Also, I first tried to make BDIR as a sub-directory of tools/uapi/ and
uapi-compile.mk did not work (when using BDIR=BDIR).
Then I did 'mkdir ../../xx64/BDIR' and specified BDIR=../../xx64/BDIR and
that worked. But: that sub-dir is not used:
--include=stdint.h --include=stddef.h -c
[see the next comment]
Oh, this makefile builds the .o files in the same sub-dirs as their
respective .h files. I don't especially like that, but as long as
make clean works, it will do. [and make clean does work]