----- On Jun 14, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Pavel Machek pa...@ucw.cz wrote:

> On Tue 2018-06-12 12:31:24, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> ----- On Jun 12, 2018, at 9:11 AM, Florian Weimer fwei...@redhat.com wrote:

>> > Looks I was mistaken and this is very similar to the robust mutex list.
>> >
>> > Should we treat it the same way?  Always allocate it for each new thread
>> > and register it with the kernel?
>>
>> That would be an efficient way to do it, indeed. There is very little
>> performance overhead to have rseq registered for all threads, whether or
>> not they intend to run rseq critical sections.
>
> People with slow / low memory machines would prefer not to see
> overhead they don't need...

In terms of memory usage, if people don't want the extra few bytes of memory
used by rseq in the kernel, they should use CONFIG_RSEQ=n.

In terms of overhead, let's have a closer look at what it means: when a thread
is registered to rseq, but does not enter rseq critical sections, only this
extra work is done by the kernel:

- rseq_preempt(): on preemption, the scheduler sets the TIF_NOTIFY_RESUME thread
  flag, so rseq_handle_notify_resume() can check whether it's in a rseq critical
  section when returning to user-space,
- rseq_signal_deliver(): on signal delivery, rseq_handle_notify_resume() checks
  whether it's in a rseq critical section,
- rseq_migrate: on migration, the scheduler sets TIF_NOTIFY_RESUME as well,

>> I have a few possible approaches in mind (feel free to suggest other
>> options):
>>
>> A) glibc exposes a strong __rseq_abi TLS symbol:
>>
>>    - should ideally *not* be global-dynamic for performance reasons,
>>    - registration to kernel can either be handled explicitly by requiring
>>      application or libraries to call an API, or implicitly at thread
>>      creation,
>
> ...so I'd prefer explicit API call.

I have use-cases where a library wants to link against librseq and have rseq
critical sections, without requiring the application to explicitly add rseq
registration calls on thread creation/destruction. Is there a way to register
callbacks to glibc which could be invoked on thread creation/destruction ?

Then if we include dynamic loading of libraries (dlopen/dlclose) in the
picture, this gets even worse, as we'd need to be able to iterate on all
existing threads to invoke registration/unregistration callbacks.

One alternative approach would be to let the user library lazily register rseq
when needed, and use a pthread_key for unregistration. However, this does not
allow dlclose of the user library without figuring a way to iterate on all
threads.

Another alternative would be to somehow let glibc handle the registration,
perhaps only doing it for applications expressing their interest for rseq.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

--