On Fri, 22 Jun 2018, Will Deacon wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 02:09:04PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Interesting...
> > >
> > > I think the second example would preclude us using LDAPR for load-acquire,
> >
> > What are the semantics of LDAPR?  That instruction isn't included in my
> > year-old copy of the ARMv8.1 manual; the closest it comes is LDAR and
> > LDAXP.
>
> It's part of 8.3 and is documented in the latest Arm Arm:
>
> https://static.docs.arm.com/ddi0487/ca/DDI0487C_a_armv8_arm.pdf
>
> It's also included in the upstream armv8.cat file using the 'Q' set.

I'll have to look at that.

> [...]
>
> I don't think it's a moot point. We want new architectures to implement
> acquire/release efficiently, and it's not unlikely that they will have
> acquire loads that are similar in semantics to LDAPR. This patch prevents
> them from doing so, and it also breaks Power and RISC-V without any clear
> justification for the stronger semantics.
>
> > > I also think this would break if we used DMB LD to implement load-acquire
> > > (second test below).
> >
> > Same question.
>
> Same answer (and RISC-V is a concrete example of an architecture building
> acquire using a load->load+store fence).
>
> > > So I'm not a big fan of this change, and I'm surprised this works on all
> > > architectures. What's the justification?
> >
> > For ARMv8, I've been going by something you wrote in an earlier email
> > to the effect that store-release and load-acquire are fully ordered,
> > and therefore a release can never be forwarded to an acquire.  Is that
> > still true?  But evidently it only justifies patch 1 in this series,
> > not patch 2.
>
> LDAR and STLR are RCsc, so that remains true. arm64 is not broken by this
> patch, but I'm still objecting to the change in semantics.
>
> > For RISC-V, I've been going by Andrea's and Luc's comments.
>
> https://is.gd/WhV1xz
>
> From that state of rmem, you can propagate the writes out of order on
> RISC-V.

> > > It's easier, but it will still break on architectures with native support
> > > for RCpc acquire/release.
> >
> > Again, do we want the kernel to support that?
>
> Yes, I think we do. That's the most common interpretation of
> acquire/release, it matches what C11 has done and it facilitates
> construction of acquire using a load->load+store fence.
>
> > For that matter, what would happen if someone were to try using RCpc
> > semantics for lock/unlock?  Or to put it another way, why do you
> > contemplate the possibility of RCpc acquire/release but not RCpc
> > lock/unlock?
>
> I think lock/unlock is a higher-level abstraction than acquire/release
> and therefore should be simpler to use and easier to reason about.
> acquire/release are building blocks for more complicated synchronisation
> mechanisms and we shouldn't be penalising their implementation without good
> reason.
>
> > > Could we drop the acquire/release stuff from the patch and limit this
> > > change
> > > to locking instead?
> >
> > The LKMM uses the same CAT code for acquire/release and lock/unlock.
> > (In essence, it considers a lock to be an acquire and an unlock to be a
> > release; everything else follows from that.)  Treating one differently
> > from the other in these tests would require some significant changes.
> > It wouldn't be easy.
>
> It would be boring if it was easy ;) I think this is a case of the tail
> wagging the dog.
>
> Paul -- please can you drop this patch until we've resolved this discussion?

Agreed.  It sounds like we'll need two versions of the Rel and Acq sets
in the memory model; one for RCpc and one for RCsc.  smp_load_acquire
and smp_store_release will use the former, and locking will use the
latter.

Would it suffice to have this duplication just for release, using a
single version of acquire?  What would happen on ARMv8 or RISC-V if an
RCsc release was read by an RCpc acquire?  Or vice versa?

Alan