On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:52:49 -0700
Joel Fernandes <j...@joelfernandes.org> wrote:

> > #define __DECLARE_TRACE(name, proto, args, cond, data_proto, data_args) \
> >     extern struct tracepoint __tracepoint_##name;                   \
> >     static inline void trace_##name(proto)                          \
> >     {                                                               \
> >             if (static_key_false(&__tracepoint_##name.key))         \
> >                     __DO_TRACE(&__tracepoint_##name,                \
> >                             TP_PROTO(data_proto),                   \
> >                             TP_ARGS(data_args),                     \
> >                             TP_CONDITION(cond), 0);                 \
> >             if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_LOCKDEP) && (cond)) {             \
> >                     rcu_read_lock_sched_notrace();                  \
> >                     rcu_dereference_sched(__tracepoint_##name.funcs);\
> >                     rcu_read_unlock_sched_notrace();                \
> >             }                                                       \
> >     }
> >
> > Because lockdep would only trigger warnings when the tracepoint was
> > enabled and used in a place it shouldn't be, we added the above
> > IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_LOCKDEP) part to test regardless if the the
> > tracepoint was enabled or not. Because we do this, we don't need to
> > have the test in the __DO_TRACE() code itself. That means we can clean
> > up the code as per Peter's suggestion.
>
> Sounds good, I'm Ok with making this change.
>
> Just to clarify, are you proposing to change the rcu_dereference_sched to
> rcu_dereference_raw in both __DECLARE_TRACE and __DO_TRACE?

No, just in __DO_TRACE(). The rcu_dereference_sched() above in
__DECLARE_TRACE() in the if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_LOCKDEP) block is
required to show the warnings if trace_##name() is used wrong, and is
the reason we can use rcu_dereference_raw() in __DO_TRACE() in the
first place ;-)

This brings up another point. We should probably add to
__DECLARE_TRACE_RCU() this:

#ifndef MODULE
#define __DECLARE_TRACE_RCU(name, proto, args, cond, data_proto, data_args) \
        static inline void trace_##name##_rcuidle(proto)                \
        {                                                               \
                if (static_key_false(&__tracepoint_##name.key))         \
                        __DO_TRACE(&__tracepoint_##name,                \
                                TP_PROTO(data_proto),                   \
                                TP_ARGS(data_args),                     \
                                TP_CONDITION(cond), 1);                 \
+               if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_LOCKDEP) && (cond)) {             \
+                       int idx;                                        \
+                       idx = srcu_read_lock_notrace(&tracepoint_srcu); \
+                       srcu_dereference_notrace(__tracepoint_##name.funcs, \
+                                               &tracepoint_srcu);      \
+                       srcu_read_unlock_notrace(&tracepoint_srcu, idx); \
        }
#else

So that lockdep works with trace_##name##__rcuidle() when the trace
event is not enabled.

But that should be a separate patch and not part of this series. I may
write that up tomorrow.

-- Steve