On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 01:04:27PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> > > But again, these are stuble patterns, and my guess is that several/
> > > most kernel developers really won't care about such guarantees (and
> > > if some will do, they'll have the tools to figure out what they can
> > > actually rely on ...)
> >
> > Yes it is subtle, yes most people won't care, however the problem is
> > that it is subtly the wrong way around. People expect causality, this is
> > a human failing perhaps, but that's how it is.
> >
> > And I strongly feel we should have our locks be such that they don't
> > subtly break things.
> >
> > Take for instance the pattern where RCU relies on RCsc locks, this is an
> > entirely simple and straight forward use of locks, yet completely fails
> > on this subtle point.
>
> Do you happen to remember exactly where in the kernel source this
> occurs?

Look for the uses of raw_spin_lock_irq_rcu_node() and friends in
kernel/rcu and include/linux/*rcu*, along with the explanation in
Documentation/RCU/Design/Memory-Ordering/Tree-RCU-Memory-Ordering.html

I must confess that I am not following exactly what Peter is calling
out as the failure.  My best guess is that he is leading up to his
call for RCsc locks, but I might have missed a turn.

But Peter did supply raw_spin_lock_irq_rcu_node(), which is a marked
improvement over the earlier open-coding of smp_mb__after_unlock_lock()
after each and every acquisition of the rcu_node structure's ->lock,
so overall I cannot complain.  ;-)

                                                        Thanx, Paul