Hi Daniel,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 6:30 AM Daniel Drake <dr...@endlessm.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 7:57 PM, Daniel Kurtz <djku...@chromium.org> wrote:
> > Commit 6afb10267c1692 ("pinctrl/amd: fix masking of GPIO interrupts")
> > changed to the clearing of interrupt status bits to a RMW in a critical
> > section.  This works, but is a bit overkill.
> >
> > The relevant interrupt/wake status bits are in the Most Significant Byte
> > of a 32-bit word.  These two are the only write-able bits in this byte.
>
> I don't have the hardware to test this any more, and I also don't have
> any docs to double if those are really the only writable bits, but
> looking at the existing driver code it does seem to be the case.
>
> I think you should retain the comment noting that the value of the
> register may have changed since it was read just a few lines above
> (and hence explaining more precisely why we make the special effort
> just to modify the MSB), just in case there is further rework of this
> code in future and we end up walking into the same trap. It was one of
> those issues that took a frustratingly long time to figure out...

Sounds reasonable.  How about:

-                       /* Clear interrupt.
-                        * We must read the pin register again, in case the
-                        * value was changed while executing
-                        * generic_handle_irq() above.
+                        * Write-1-to-clear irq/wake status bits in MSByte.
+                        * All other bits in this byte are read-only.
+                        * This avoids modifying the lower 24-bits
because they may have
+                        *  changed while executing generic_handle_irq() above.
                         */