From: Linus Torvalds
> Sent: 15 August 2018 16:44
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:38 AM David Laight <david.lai...@aculab.com> wrote:
> >
> > Never mind the version of gcc, the x86 kernel doesn't build with the
> > default kernel options because the ORC unwinder hits a bug in libelf
> > (in objtool) that was only fixed late last year.
> >
> > It isn't even obvious from the build log what has gone wrong.
>
> Can you give more details? We should try to work around it.
>
> It's one thing to care about a compiler that is almost a decade old.
> At some point we just have to let it go.
>
> But some libelf bug that is less than a year old is likely to bite people.

See https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/9/10/186 for the libelf fix.
It isn't anything like as rare as those emails suggest.
An 'allmodconfig' build fails on a lot of object files after 4.15-rc9.

When I fell over the problem I found a few reports on the ubuntu lists
but they all just said the ubuntu version was unsupported.

There is this patch I did https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/26/266 that got
no comments.

But really something needs to be done to objtool.

        David

-
Registered Address Lakeside, Bramley Road, Mount Farm, Milton Keynes, MK1 1PT,
UK
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)