On 10/3/18 9:22 AM, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Thu 27-09-18 22:39:48, john.hubb...@gmail.com wrote:
>> From: John Hubbard <jhubb...@nvidia.com>
>>
>> Introduces put_user_page(), which simply calls put_page().
>> This provides a way to update all get_user_pages*() callers,
>> so that they call put_user_page(), instead of put_page().
>>
>> Also adds release_user_pages(), a drop-in replacement for
>> release_pages(). This is intended to be easily grep-able,
>> for later performance improvements, since release_user_pages
>> is not batched like release_pages() is, and is significantly
>> slower.
>
> A small nit but can we maybe call this put_user_pages() for symmetry with
> put_user_page()? I don't really care too much but it would look natural to
> me.

Sure. It started out as "make it a drop-in replacement for release_pages()",
but now it's not quite a drop-in replacement anymore. And in any case it's an
opportunity to make the name more intuitive, so that seems like a good
idea.

If anyone hates put_user_pages() and wants to campaign relentlessly for
release_pages*(), then now is the time! :)

thanks,
--
John Hubbard
NVIDIA