Hi,

On 05.10.2018 10:16, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 07:12:10PM +0300, Alexey Budankov wrote:
<SNIP>
>> +static void record__aio_sync(struct perf_mmap *md)
>> +{
>> +    struct aiocb *cblock = &md->cblock;
>> +    struct timespec timeout = { 0, 1000 * 1000  * 1 }; // 1ms
>> +
>> +    do {
>> +            if (cblock->aio_fildes == -1 || record__aio_complete(md,
>> cblock))
>> +                    return;
>> +
>> +            while (aio_suspend((const struct aiocb**)&cblock, 1, &timeout))
>> {
>> +                    if (!(errno == EAGAIN || errno == EINTR))
>> +                            pr_err("failed to sync perf data, error: %m\n");
>
> Is there somthing we can do in this error case?  Any chance it gets
> stuck in the loop?

Not really. Currently, in glibc, it can block on a mutex only.

>> +            }
>> +    } while (1);
>> +}
>> +
>> +static int record__aio_pushfn(void *to, struct aiocb *cblock, void *bf,
>> size_t size)
>> +{
>> +    off_t off;
>> +    struct record *rec = to;
>> +    int ret, trace_fd = rec->session->data->file.fd;
>> +
>> +    rec->samples++;
>> +
>> +    off = lseek(trace_fd, 0, SEEK_CUR);
>> +    lseek(trace_fd, off + size, SEEK_SET);
>
> It'd be nice if these lseek() could be removed and use
> rec->bytes_written instead.

Well, this could be implemented like this avoiding lseek() in else branch:

        off = lseek(trace_fd, 0, SEEK_CUR);
        ret = record__aio_write(cblock, trace_fd, bf, size, off);
        if (!ret) {
                lseek(trace_fd, off + size, SEEK_SET);
                rec->bytes_written += size;

                if (switch_output_size(rec))
                        trigger_hit(&switch_output_trigger);
        }

>> +    ret = record__aio_write(cblock, trace_fd, bf, size, off);
>> +    if (!ret) {
>> +            rec->bytes_written += size;
>> +
>> +            if (switch_output_size(rec))
>> +                    trigger_hit(&switch_output_trigger);
>
> Doesn't it need the _sync() before the trigger?  Maybe it should be
> moved to record__mmap_read_evlist() or so..

Currently trigger just updates variable state.
The state is then checked thru separate API at __cmd_record() where
record__mmap_read_sync() is called prior switching to a new trace file
or finishing collection.

<SNIP>
>>              if (map->base) {
>> +#ifndef HAVE_AIO_SUPPORT
>>                      if (perf_mmap__push(map, rec, record__pushfn) != 0) {
>>                              rc = -1;
>>                              goto out;
>>                      }
>> +#else
>> +                    if (!rec->opts.nr_cblocks) {
>> +                            if (perf_mmap__push(map, rec, record__pushfn)
>> != 0) {
>> +                                    rc = -1;
>> +                                    goto out;
>> +                            }
>> +                    } else {
>> +                            /*
>> +                             * Call record__aio_sync() to wait till
>> map->data buffer
>> +                             * becomes available after previous aio write
>> request.
>> +                             */
>> +                            record__aio_sync(map);
>> +                            if (perf_mmap__aio_push(map, rec,
>> record__aio_pushfn) != 0) {
>> +                                    rc = -1;
>> +                                    goto out;
>> +                            }
>> +                    }
>> +#endif
>
> If dummy aio functions are provided, the #ifdef can be removed and
> just use the #else part assuming opts.nr_cblocks == 0.

Yes, it looks a little bit cumbersome. Would this be more compact?

                if (map->base) {
#ifdef HAVE_AIO_SUPPORT
                        if (!rec->opts.nr_cblocks) {
#endif
                                if (perf_mmap__push(map, rec, record__pushfn)
!= 0) {
                                        rc = -1;
                                        goto out;
                                }
#ifdef HAVE_AIO_SUPPORT
                        } else {
                                int idx;
                                /*
                                 * Call record__aio_sync() to wait till
map->data buffer
                                 * becomes available after previous aio write
request.
                                 */
                                idx = record__aio_sync(map, false);
                                if (perf_mmap__aio_push(map, rec, idx,