On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 15:48, Quentin Perret <quentin.per...@arm.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 Oct 2018 at 15:27:57 (+0200), Vincent Guittot wrote:

> > > I don't follow you here. I never said I wanted to change
> > > cpu_capacity_orig. I don't think we should do that actually. Changing
> > > capacity_of (which is updated during LB IIRC) is just fine. The question
> > > is about what you want to do there: reflect an averaged value or the
> > > instantaneous one.
> >
> > Sorry I though your were speaking about updating this cpu_capacity_orig.
>
> N/p, communication via email can easily become confusing :-)
>
> > With using instantaneous max  value in capacity_of(), we are back to
> > the problem raised by Thara that  the value will most probably not
> > reflect the current capping value when it is used in LB, because LB
> > period can quite long on busy CPU (default max value is 32*sd_weight
> > ms)
>
> But averaging the capping value over time doesn't make LB happen more
> often ... That will help you account for capping that happened in the

But you know what happens in average between 2 LB

> past, but it's not obvious this is actually a good thing. Probably not
> all the time anyway.
>
> Say a CPU was capped at 50% of it's capacity, then the cap is removed.
> At that point it'll take 100ms+ for the thermal signal to decay and let
> the scheduler know about the newly available capacity. That can probably

But the point is that you don't know:
- if the capping will not happen soon. If the pressure has reached the
50%,  it means that it already happened quite often in the past 100ms.
- if there is really available capacity as the current sum of
utilization reflects what was available for tasks and not what the
tasks really wants to use

> be a performance hit in some use cases ... And the other way around, it
> can also take forever for the scheduler to notice that a CPU has a

What do you mean by forever ?