On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 1:09 PM, Rasmus Villemoes
<li...@rasmusvillemoes.dk> wrote:
> That's a bit too naive. At the very least, you must exclude static
> stuff, i.e. restrict to actual auto variables. Otherwise you're making
> things worse (a "static const char []" just occupies some space in
> .rodata, a "static const char * const" occupies the same space for the
> anonymous literal, plus space for a pointer). Furthermore, you must
> ensure that nobody does sizeof() on VAR. With a trivial extension of
> your script to exclude the "static const char" places, I get

Yes, thank you. That's the part I was forgetting and why I was doing
[] over * back then. There are certainly uses of sizeof() on these
strings. So, it seems better to get sizeof() right that the const-ness
right.

>>> I don't agree. [...]
>>
>> Okay, then I'll forward this to akpm maybe?
>
> Yes, if all they do is replace f(..., s) by f(..., "%s", s) that should
> never hurt. Maybe check if there's a ..._puts() variant that can be used
> instead, e.g. seq_puts().

Alright, I'll see about bringing that series forward in time...

-Kees

--
Kees Cook