On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:12 AM Sergey Senozhatsky
<sergey.senozhatsky.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dunno. I guess we still haven't heard from Linus because he did quite a good
> job setting up his 'email filters' ;)

Not filters, just long threads that I lurk on.

I don't actually care too much about this - the part I care about is
that when panics etc happen, things go out with a true best effort.

And "best effort" actually means "reality", not "theory". I don't care
one whit for some broken odd serial console that has a lock and
deadlocks if you get a panic just in the right place. I care about the
main printk/tty code doing the right thing, and avoiding the locks
with the scheduler and timers etc. So the timestamping and wakeup code
needing locks - or thinking you can delay things and print them out
later (when no later happens because you're panicing in an NMI) -
*that* is what I care deeply about.

Something like having a line buffering interface for random debugging
messages etc, I just don't get excited about. It just needs to be
simple enough and robust enough. You guys seem to be talking it out
ok.

             Linus