On 23.11.18 13:42, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Fri 23-11-18 12:55:41, Oscar Salvador wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 10:21:24AM +0100, David Hildenbrand wrote:
>>> 1. How are we going to present such memory to the system statistics?
>>>
>>> In my opinion, this vmemmap memory should
>>> a) still account to total memory
>>> b) show up as allocated
>>>
>>> So just like before.
>>
>> No, it does not show up under total memory and neither as allocated memory.
>> This memory is not for use for anything but for creating the pagetables
>> for the memmap array for the section/s.
>
> I haven't read through your patches yet but wanted to clarfify few
> points here.
>
> This should essentially follow the bootmem allocated memory pattern. So
> it is present and accounted to spanned pages but it is not managed.
>
>> It is not memory that the system can use.
>
> same as bootmem ;)

Fair enough, just saying that it represents a change :)

(but people also already complained if their VM has XGB but they don't
see actual XGB as total memory e.g. due to the crash kernel size)

>> I also guess that if there is a strong opinion on this, we could create
>> a counter, something like NR_VMEMMAP_PAGES, and show it under /proc/meminfo.
>
> Do we really have to? Isn't the number quite obvious from the size of
> the hotpluged memory?

At least the size of vmmaps cannot reliably calculated from "MemTotal" .
But maybe based on something else. (there, it is indeed obvious)

>>> 2. Is this optional, in other words, can a device driver decide to not
>>> to it like that?
>>
>> Right now, is a per arch setup.
>> For example, x86_64/powerpc/arm64 will do it inconditionally.
>>
>> If we want to restrict this a per device-driver thing, I guess that we could
>> allow to pass a flag to add_memory()->add_memory_resource(), and there
>> unset MHP_MEMMAP_FROM_RANGE in case that flag is enabled.
>
> I believe we will need to make this opt-in. There are some usecases
> which hotplug an expensive (per size) memory via hotplug and it would be
> too wasteful to use it for struct pages. I haven't bothered to address
> that with my previous patches because I just wanted to make the damn
> thing work first.

Good point.

David / dhildenb