[ Added Linus and Arnaldo to the Cc:, for high level kernel side and
  tooling side buy-in for the <nolibc.h> inclusion in the kernel tree
  below: ]

* Paul E. McKenney <paul...@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> [...]
>  kernel/rcu/srcutiny.c                              |  120 +-
>  kernel/rcu/srcutree.c                              |  489 ++---
>  kernel/rcu/sync.c                                  |   25 +-
>  kernel/rcu/tree.c                                  |  114 +-
>  kernel/rcu/tree.h                                  |   18 +-
>  kernel/rcu/tree_exp.h                              |   10 +-
>  kernel/rcu/tree_plugin.h                           |   81 +-
>  kernel/rcu/update.c                                |    9 +-
>  kernel/sched/core.c                                |    2 +-
>  kernel/sched/membarrier.c                          |    6 +-
>  kernel/torture.c                                   |   34 +-
>  kernel/trace/ftrace.c                              |   24 +-
>  kernel/trace/ring_buffer.c                         |   12 +-
>  kernel/trace/trace.c                               |   10 +-
>  kernel/trace/trace_events_filter.c                 |    4 +-
>  kernel/trace/trace_kprobe.c                        |    2 +-
>  kernel/tracepoint.c                                |    4 +-
>  kernel/workqueue.c                                 |    8 +-
>  lib/percpu-refcount.c                              |    2 +-
>  mm/khugepaged.c                                    |    4 +-
>  mm/mmu_gather.c                                    |    2 +-
>  mm/slab.c                                          |    4 +-
>  mm/slab_common.c                                   |    6 +-
>  mm/swap.c                                          |    3 +-
>  net/bridge/br_mdb.c                                |    2 +-
>  net/bridge/br_multicast.c                          |   14 +-
>  net/core/netpoll.c                                 |    4 +-
>  net/core/skmsg.c                                   |    2 +-
>  net/decnet/af_decnet.c                             |    2 +-
>  net/sched/sch_api.c                                |    2 +-
>  net/sched/sch_generic.c                            |    8 +-
>  scripts/checkpatch.pl                              |   35 +
>  tools/include/linux/kernel.h                       |    2 +-
>  tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/bin/kvm.sh      |    8 +
>  tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/bin/mkinitrd.sh |  136 ++
>  tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/bin/nolibc.h    | 2197
> ++++++++++++++++++++
>  tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/doc/initrd.txt  |   99 +-
>  .../formal/srcu-cbmc/include/linux/types.h         |    4 +-
>  virt/kvm/arm/vgic/vgic.c                           |   12 +-
>  delete mode 100644
> Documentation/RCU/Design/Data-Structures/BigTreeClassicRCUBH.svg
>  delete mode 100644
> Documentation/RCU/Design/Data-Structures/BigTreeClassicRCUBHdyntick.svg
>  delete mode 100644
> Documentation/RCU/Design/Data-Structures/BigTreePreemptRCUBHdyntick.svg
>  create mode 100755 tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/bin/mkinitrd.sh
>  create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/bin/nolibc.h

Pulled into tip:core/rcu, with the <nolibc.h> caveats below, thanks a lot
Paul!

I noticed this bit from Willy:

>  tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/bin/nolibc.h    | 2197
> ++++++++++++++++++++

So <nolibc.h> is a rather large header and it comes with very little
documentation - but once you read through the header it's obvious what it
does, the code is clean and it's pretty cool all around, and in hindsight
the name is a strong hint about what the header does as well. ;)

Still it would be nice to at least add a top level description to the
header to make people (like me) who are reading the code before the
changelogs wonder less. For tooling headers we require a similar
self-explanatory, feel-fuzzy structure as for kernel headers.

Beyond adding a bit more documentation it would also be useful to factor
nolibc.h out into tools/include/nolibc/ or so, no reason to hide it in
rcutorture, I bet there's a number of other testcases and smaller
utilities in tools/ that could make good use of it.

My long term hope would be that eventually we could even create a minimal
klibc from it (a minimal libc provided by the kernel itself), giving
minimalist binaries a mechanism to link against klibc.so:

- klibc would be an explicit opt-in mechanism, i.e. binaries that are
  coupled with the kernel anyway (and initrd executables certainly are)
  could use this.

- We could also add a way for the kernel to provide (non-swappable)
  binaries via an automatic /klib/ mount point or so. This would allow
  features like a minimal, console based rescue/debug shell that doesn't
  rely on any filesystem state or external library dependencies, other
  than the initial kernel+initrd image.

- In such a scheme klibc would be in /klib/klibc.so, with a mixed
  static/dynamic linking model where klibc.so is linked to a particular
  static address in all klibc binaries. This would allow executable
  startup without dynamic linking overhead, there's basically just an
  mmap() required to map klibc.so. I.e. we would get the best of the two
  worlds: the simplicity and performance of static linking, with the
  low memory overhead and centrally maintained mechanism of dynamic
  linked libraries.

- klibc would also eventually allow deeper integration with the vDSO
  proper: for example on klibc based embedded systems we could link klibc
  and the vDSO into a single vDSO library, further simplifying and
  optimizing it.

- klibc would also allow faster feature propagation from kernel to libc
  as well, as we could prototype, test and benchmark new system calls and
  new features on klibc - i.e. klibc integration and testcases could be a
  requirement for new system calls.

- There's no upper limit to how such a minimal kernel-shell (root only)
  environment would look like, beyond a minimal shell in principle it
  could include bits like:

    - a minimal editor,

    - a minimal sshd server/client,

    - a minimal 3D graphics and window system:

       - we can use precompiled shaders for the minimal 3D library to
         run the window system with high speed on modern GPU hardware on
         GPUs with open-source drivers, such as amdgpu, intel or
         nouveau,

       - (a minimal font library using a single font, with the supported
          font sizes rendered at build time, to avoid having to have a
          minimal vector font library.)

    - a minimal X terminal based on the 3D rendering environment,
      running the shell and editor,

    - a minimal version of 3D Tetris (just kidding)

    - 3D graphics based perf binary (not kidding: it would have *far*
      lower display overhead than the current console graphics we are
      using)

- ... all of which would allow a fully integrated, self-contained (!)
  solution with no external dependencies other than the build environment
  to build the binaries, that allows the debugging of a system and the
  eventual extraction of debug information, without having to interact
  with the local filesystem or even the local X-window state for these
  apps to run.

- I.e. a minimal Linux distribution done right, optimized for kernel
  development, system bootstrap, rescue enviroment, etc. - far more
  usable than a kdb session.

/me runs

Anyway, back to <nolibc.h>: wanted to ask Linus's and Arnaldo's opinion
about the merge of it, we can still re-base and re-try if there's any
objections.

Thanks,

        Ingo