On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 21:38 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Jan Glauber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > still, CFS needs time measurement across idle periods as well, for
> > > another purpose: to be able to do precise task statistics for /proc.
> > > (for top, ps, etc.) So it's still true that sched_clock() should
> > > include idle periods too.
> >
> > I'm not sure, s390 already has an implemetation for precise accounting
> > in the architecture code, does CFS also improve accounting data?
>
> what kind of precise accounting does s390 have in the architecture code?
> CFS changes task (and load) accounting to be sched_clock() driven in
> essence.

s390 has per-process accounting that is aware of virtual cpu time, implemented
in
arch/s390/kernel/time.c: account_ticks() and arch/s390/kernel/vtime.c:
account_*_vtime(). Timestamps are taken in entry.S for system calls, interrupts
and other system entries and are accounted later, we don't call
update_process_times().

Jan