On Wed, 12 Dec 2018, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> OK.  How about this one?
>
>          P0      P1                 P2      P3
>          Wa=2    rcu_read_lock()    Wc=2    Wd=2
>          memb    Wb=2               Rd=0    synchronize_rcu();
>          Rb=0    Rc=0                       Ra=0
>                rcu_read_unlock()
>
> The model should say that it is allowed.  Taking a look...
>
>          P0      P1                 P2      P3
>                                   Rd=0
>                                           Wd=2
>                                           synchronize_rcu();
>                                           Ra=0
>        Wa=2
>        membs
>                rcu_read_lock()
>                [m01]
>                Rc=0
>                                   Wc=2
>                                   [m02]   [m03]
>        membe
>        Rb=0
>                Wb=2
>                rcu_read_unlock()
>
> Looks allowed to me.  If the synchronization of P1 and P2 were
> interchanged, it should be forbidden:
>
>          P0      P1      P2                 P3
>          Wa=2    Wb=2    rcu_read_lock()    Wd=2
>          memb    Rc=0    Wc=2               synchronize_rcu();
>          Rb=0            Rd=0               Ra=0
>                          rcu_read_unlock()
>
> Taking a look...
>
>          P0      P1      P2                 P3
>                          rcu_read_lock()
>                          Rd=0
>          Wa=2    Wb=2                       Wd=2
>          membs                              synchronize_rcu();
>                  [m01]
>                  Rc=0
>                          Wc=2
>                          rcu_read_unlock()
>                        [m02]              Ra=0 [Forbidden?]
>        membe
>          Rb=0

Have you tried writing these as real litmus tests and running them
through herd?

> I believe that this ordering forbids the cycle:
>
>       Wa=1 > membs -> [m01] -> Rc=0 -> Wc=2 -> rcu_read_unlock() ->
>               return from synchronize_rcu() -> Ra
>
> Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

It's hard to tell.  What you have written here isn't justified by the
litmus test source code, since the position of m01 in P1's program
order is undetermined.  How do you justify m01 -> Rc, for example?

Write it this way instead, using the relations defined in the
sys_membarrier patch for linux-kernel.cat:

        memb ->memb-gp memb ->rcu-link Rc ->memb-rscsi Rc ->rcu-link

                rcu_read_unlock ->rcu-rscsi rcu_read_lock ->rcu-link

                synchronize_rcu ->rcu-gp synchronize_rcu ->rcu-link memb

Recall that:

        memb-gp is the identity relation on sys_membarrier events,

        rcu-link includes (po? ; fre ; po),

        memb-rscsi is the identity relation on all events,

        rcu-rscsi links unlocks to their corresponding locks, and

        rcu-gp is the identity relation on synchronize_rcu events.

These facts justify the cycle above.

Leaving off the final rcu-link step, the sequence matches the
definition of rcu-fence (the relations are memb-gp, memb-rscsi,
rcu-rscsi, rcu-gp with rcu-links in between).  Therefore the cycle is
forbidden.

Alan