On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:52 PM Geert Uytterhoeven
<geert+rene...@glider.be> wrote:

>         Hi all,
>
> This patch series contains several build fixes and cleanups for issues I
> encountered when trying to cross-build an rtctest binary in a separate
> output directory (like I use for all my kernel builds).

Geert,
Thanks for working on this!

My fundamental question is,
why did tools/ opt out Kbuild?

I think lots of mess comes in
in order to support
  cd tools/gpio; make

instead of

  make tools/gpio/

Lots of files are duplicated in tools/build/
in order to invent a different build system for tools/

Similar, but not exactly the same files. For example,

diff -u scripts/basic/fixdep.c tools/build/fixdep.c

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada