On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 16:28:53 +0000
Parav Pandit <pa...@mellanox.com> wrote:

> In bigger objective, I wanted to discuss post this cleanup patch, is to
> expand mdev to have more user friendly device names.

Uh, what is unfriendly about uuids?

> Before we reach there, I should include a patch that eliminates storing UUID
> itself in the mdev_device.

I do not think that's a great idea. A uuid is, well, a unique
identifier. What's so bad about it that it should be eliminated?

> > Also, let's not
> > overstate what this particular API callback provides, it's simply access to
> > the
> > uuid of the device, which is a fundamental property of a mediated device.
> This fundamental property is available in form of device name already.

Let me reiterate that the device name is a string containing a
formatted uuid, not a uuid.

> > API was added simply to provide data abstraction, allowing the struct
> > mdev_device to be opaque to vendor drivers.  Thanks,
> >
> I get that part. I prefer to remove the UUID itself from the structure and
> therefore removing this API makes lot more sense?

What I don't get is why you want to eliminate the uuid in the first
place? Again, what's so bad about it?