Hi,

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, October 7, 2019 2:26 PM, Andreas Schwab <sch...@linux-m68k.org>
wrote:

> On Okt 07 2019, Greg KH gre...@linuxfoundation.org wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 01:49:47PM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> >
> > > GEN kernel/kheaders_data.tar.xz
> > > tar: unrecognized option '--sort=name'
> > > Try `tar --help' or`tar --usage' for more information.
> > > make[2]: *** [kernel/kheaders_data.tar.xz] Error 64
> > > make[1]: *** [kernel] Error 2
> > > make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
> > > $ tar --version
> > > tar (GNU tar) 1.26
> > > Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> >
> > Wow that's an old version of tar. 2011? What happens if you use a more
> > modern one?
>
> That's the most modern I have available on that machine.

Hmm. --sort was introduced in 1.28 in 2014. Do you think it would warrant some
sort of version check and fallback or is this something we can expect the user
to handle if their distribution happens to not ship anything more recent? A few
sensible workarounds come to mind.

In any case, likely it would make sense to at least update to
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/process/changes.rst
with the minimal version we decide on.

Dmitry