On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 13:23:29 -0700 Florian Fainelli wrote:

> On 9/30/2020 1:11 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> >> If your Ethernet MAC controller implements a shutdown callback and that
> >> callback takes care of unregistering the network device which should also
> >> ensure that phy_disconnect() gets called, then your PHY's suspend function
> >> will be called.
> >
> > Hi Florian
> >
> > I could be missing something here, but:
> >
> > phy_suspend does not call into the PHY driver if WOL is enabled. So
> > Jisheng needs a way to tell the PHY it should isolate itself from the
> > MAC, and suspend is not that.
>
> I missed that part, that's right if WoL is enabled at the PHY level then
> the suspend callback is not called, how about we change that and we
> always call the PHY's suspend callback? This would require that we audit

Hi all,

The PHY's suspend callback usually calls genphy_suspend() which will set
BMCR_PDOWN bit, this may break WoL. I think this is one the reason why
we ignore the phydrv->suspend() when WoL is enabled. If we goes to this
directly, it looks like we need to change each phy's suspend implementation,
I.E if WoL is enabled, ignore genphy_suspend() and do possible isolation;
If WoL is disabled, keep the code path as is.

So compared with the shutdown hook, which direction is better?

Thanks in advance,
Jisheng