On Friday 2020-04-24 14:15, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>> ./usr/include/rdma/ib_user_verbs.h:436:34: warning: field 'base' with
>> variable sized type 'struct ib_uverbs_create_cq_resp' not at the end of
>> a struct or class is a GNU extension
>> [-Wgnu-variable-sized-type-not-at-end]
>>         struct ib_uverbs_create_cq_resp base;
>>                                         ^
>> I presume this is part of the point of the conversion since you mention
>> a compiler warning when the flexible member is not at the end of a
>> struct. How should they be fixed? That should probably happen before the
>> patch gets merged.
>
>The flexible member IS at the end of the struct and is often intended
>to cover the memory in the enclosing struct.

There is no guarantee for the presence of such a struct.

In the case of the RDMA headers, even if we assume best conditions --
a block of malloc(sizeof(struct ib_uverbs_create_cq_resp) +
sizeof(u64)*N) and not some struct -- it smells a lot like undefined
behavior, because ib_uverbs_create_cq_resp::driver_data accesses data
as u64 while ib_uverbs_ex_create_cq_resp::comp_mask and friends are
u32.

There has got to be some aliasing rule in C that causes RDMA's
purported use-case to be UB.