On Thursday 20 December 2007, Alan Cox wrote:
> The kernel printk messages are sentences.

I'm afraid that I completely and utterly disagree. Kernel messages are _not_
sentences. The vast majority is not well-formed and does not contain any of
the elements that are required for a proper sentence.

The most kernel messages can be compared to is a rather diverse and sloppy
enumeration. And enumerations follow completely different rules than
sentences. It can better be characterized as a "semi-random sequence of
context-sensitive technical messages".

IMHO the existing rule that "Kernel messages do not have to be terminated
with a period." is completely justified, though it does need some minor
clarification on the cases in which proper punctuation _should_ be
followed.