On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 13:11 +0200, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> On 2008-01-14 10:57 +0100, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> > That leads to the question why the clock starts to run like crazy at
> > some time so that `ntpd` can't cope with it.
>
> I do wonder whether the PSU could've been causing it. Now that think

We have some embedded systems where some strange problems[0] were caused
by bad/cheap/low-quality PSUs.

> about it, I got the PSU around two years ago, just like I compiled
> 2.6.14. This PSU coincidentally seems to have been the cause of the
> crash that started this thread, and went completely silent during
> the same day, on the third crash. But even if the PSU could cause
> the timer interrupt to signal too frequently or so, doesn't explain
> why nearly always after a crash (when journal recovery would be the
> normal course of action), fsck starts checking with absurd intervals
> since last check, whereas there's no trouble booting after normal
> shutdown.

But for normal PCs, I don't know how much the quality of a PSU is
relevant for the speed of the clock.
Can you test with a different PSU?

        Bernd

[0]: I don't know more details out of the top of my head.
          Embedded Linux Development and Services