On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 3:00 PM Linus Torvalds
<torva...@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> So rc3 is pretty big this time around, [..]

Oh, and I had planned to mention the historical note that goes along
with today's date, but then entirely forgot.

Some people think today is π-day because of odd US date formatting.
But as any true kernel geek knows, March 14 is actually much more
important than that. It's the anniversary of the Linux 1.0 release
announcement.

No, it's not some nice round number this year - the 1.0 release
happened in 1994, 27 years ago today.

And it's arguably a much less interesting release than the _first_
Linux kernel release of 0.01, which _will_ have a nice round age of 30
years later this year.

But still. I should have remembered to mention that minor historical
significance of this date in the rc3 announcement.

           Linus