On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 17:34:49 +0100
Christoph Hellwig <h...@lst.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 01:28:48PM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > The wrinkle I don't yet have an easy answer to is how to load vfio_pci
> > as a universal "default" within the driver core lazy bind scheme and
> > still have working module autoloading... I'm hoping to get some
> > research into this..

What about using MODULE_SOFTDEP("pre: ...") in the vfio-pci base
driver, which would load all the known variants in order to influence
the match, and therefore probe ordering?

If we coupled that with wildcard support in driver_override, ex.
"vfio_pci*", and used consistent module naming, I think we'd only need
to teach userspace about this wildcard and binding to a specific module
would come for free.  This assumes we drop the per-variant id_table and
use the probe function to skip devices without the necessary
requirements, either wrong device or missing the tables we expect to
expose.

> Should we even load it by default?  One answer would be that the sysfs
> file to switch to vfio mode goes into the core PCI layer, and that core
> PCI code would contain a hack^H^H^H^Hhook to first load and bind vfio_pci
> for that device.

Generally we don't want to be the default driver for anything (I think
mdev devices are the exception).  Assignment to userspace or VM is a
niche use case.  Thanks,

Alex