On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 18:25:45 -0400
Daniel Jordan <daniel.m.jor...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Alex Williamson <alex.william...@redhat.com> writes:
> > I've found a bug in this patch that we need to fix.  The diff is a
> > little difficult to follow,
>
> It was an awful diff, I remember...
>
> > so I'll discuss it in the resulting function below...
> >
> > (1) Imagine the user has passed a vaddr range that alternates pfnmaps
> > and pinned memory per page.
> >

> > static long vfio_pin_pages_remote(struct vfio_dma *dma, unsigned long vaddr,
> >                                   long npage, unsigned long *pfn_base,
> >                                   unsigned long limit, struct vfio_batch
> > *batch)
> > {
> >         unsigned long pfn;
> >         struct mm_struct *mm = current->mm;
> >         long ret, pinned = 0, lock_acct = 0;
> >         bool rsvd;
> >         dma_addr_t iova = vaddr - dma->vaddr + dma->iova;
> >
> >         /* This code path is only user initiated */
> >         if (!mm)
> >                 return -ENODEV;
> >
> >         if (batch->size) {
> >                 /* Leftover pages in batch from an earlier call. */
> >                 *pfn_base = page_to_pfn(batch->pages[batch->offset]);
> >                 pfn = *pfn_base;
> >                 rsvd = is_invalid_reserved_pfn(*pfn_base);
> >
> > (4) We're called again and fill our local variables from the batch.  The
> >     batch only has one page, so we'll complete the inner loop below and
> > refill.
> >
> > (6) We're called again, batch->size is 1, but it was for a pfnmap, the pages
> >     array still contains the last pinned page, so we end up incorrectly
> > using
> >     this pfn again for the next entry.
> >
> >         } else {
> >                 *pfn_base = 0;
> >         }
> >
> >         while (npage) {
> >                 if (!batch->size) {
> >                         /* Empty batch, so refill it. */
> >                         long req_pages = min_t(long, npage,
> > batch->capacity);
> >
> >                         ret = vaddr_get_pfns(mm, vaddr, req_pages,
> > dma->prot,
> >                                              &pfn, batch->pages);
> >                         if (ret < 0)
> >                                 goto unpin_out;
> >
> > (2) Assume the 1st page is pfnmap, the 2nd is pinned memory
>
> Just to check we're on the same wavelength, I think you can hit this bug
> with one less call to vfio_pin_pages_remote() if the 1st page in the
> vaddr range is pinned memory and the 2nd is pfnmap.  Then you'd have the
> following sequence:
>
> vfio_pin_pages_remote() call #1:
>
>  - In the first batch refill, you'd get a size=1 batch with pinned
>    memory and complete the inner loop, breaking at "if (!batch->size)".
>
>  - In the second batch refill, you'd get another size=1 batch with a
>    pfnmap page, take the "goto unpin_out" in the inner loop, and return
>    from the function with the batch still containing a single pfnmap
>    page.
>
> vfio_pin_pages_remote() call #2:
>
>  - *pfn_base is set from the first element of the pages array, which
> [...]

Yep, I should have simplified to skip the first mapping, but I was also
trying to make sure I made sense of the test case I was playing with
that triggered it.  The important transition is pinned memory to pfnmap
since that let's us return with non-zero batch size and stale data in
the pages array.

> >                         batch->size = ret;
> >                         batch->offset = 0;
> >
> >                         if (!*pfn_base) {
> >                                 *pfn_base = pfn;
> >                                 rsvd = is_invalid_reserved_pfn(*pfn_base);
> >                         }
> >                 }
> >
> >                 /*
> >                  * pfn is preset for the first iteration of this inner loop
> > and
> >                  * updated at the end to handle a VM_PFNMAP pfn.  In that
> > case,
> >                  * batch->pages isn't valid (there's no struct page), so
> > allow
> >                  * batch->pages to be touched only when there's more than
> > one
> >                  * pfn to check, which guarantees the pfns are from a
> >                  * !VM_PFNMAP vma.
> >                  */
> >                 while (true) {
> >                         if (pfn != *pfn_base + pinned ||
> >                             rsvd != is_invalid_reserved_pfn(pfn))
> >                                 goto out;
> >
> > (3) On the 2nd page, both tests are probably true here, so we take this
> > goto,
> >     leaving the batch with the next page.
> >
> > (5) Now we've refilled batch, but the next page is pfnmap, so likely both
> > of the
> >     above tests are true... but this is a pfnmap'ing!
> >
> > (7) Do we add something like if (batch->size == 1 && !batch->offset) {
> >     put_pfn(pfn, dma->prot); batch->size = 0; }?
>
> Yes, that could work, maybe with a check for a pfnmap mapping (rsvd)
> instead of those two conditions.

@rsvd could work as well, but unfortunately means we'll call
is_invalid... even if we just have a discontinuity.

> I'd rejected two approaches where the batch stores pfns instead of
> pages.  Allocating two pages (one for pages, one for pfns) seems
> overkill, though the allocation is transient.  Using a union for "struct
> page **pages" and "unsigned long *pfns" seems fragile due to the sizes
> of each type needing to match, and possibly slow from having to loop
> over the array twice (once to convert them all after pin_user_pages and
> again for the inner loop).  Neither seem much better, at least to me,
> even with this bug as additional motivation.
>
> It'd be better if pup returned pfns in some form, but that's another
> issue entirely.

It is a little curious that vfio_batch_unpin() converts pages to pfn,
only to call a function that converts them back to pages for unpinning,
when those pages should never trigger the pfnmap bypass.  I think
that's only an error path too, so it seems unnecessary to clear them as
dirty regardless of the DMA mapping protections.  At some point we'll
want to include pfnmap batches too, but only after we get rid of
follow_pte() lookups for them.

> >                         /*
> >                          * Reserved pages aren't counted against the user,
> >                          * externally pinned pages are already counted
> > against
> >                          * the user.
> >                          */
> >                         if (!rsvd && !vfio_find_vpfn(dma, iova)) {
> >                                 if (!dma->lock_cap &&
> >                                     mm->locked_vm + lock_acct + 1 > limit) {
> >                                         pr_warn("%s: RLIMIT_MEMLOCK (%ld)
> > exceeded\n",
> >                                                 __func__, limit <<
> > PAGE_SHIFT);
> >                                         ret = -ENOMEM;
> >                                         goto unpin_out;
> >                                 }
> >                                 lock_acct++;
> >                         }
> >
> >                         pinned++;
> >                         npage--;
> >                         vaddr += PAGE_SIZE;
> >                         iova += PAGE_SIZE;
> >                         batch->offset++;
> >                         batch->size--;
> >
> >                         if (!batch->size)
> >                                 break;
> >
> >                         pfn = page_to_pfn(batch->pages[batch->offset]);
> >                 }
> >
> >                 if (unlikely(disable_hugepages))
> >                         break;
> >         }
> >
> > out:
> >         ret = vfio_lock_acct(dma, lock_acct, false);
> >
> > unpin_out:
> >         if (ret < 0) {
> >                 if (pinned && !rsvd) {
> >                         for (pfn = *pfn_base ; pinned ; pfn++, pinned--)
> >                                 put_pfn(pfn, dma->prot);
> >                 }
> >                 vfio_batch_unpin(batch, dma);
> >
> > (8) These calls to batch_unpin are rather precarious as well, any time
> > batch->size is
> >     non-zero, we risk using the pages array for a pfnmap.  We might
> > actually want the
> >     above change in (7) moved into this exit path so that we can never
> > return a potential
> >     pfnmap batch.
>
> Yes, the exit path seems like the right place for the fix.
>

> >                 return ret; }
> >
> >         return pinned;
> > }
> >
> > This is a regression that not only causes incorrect mapping for the
> > user, but also allows the user to trigger bad page counts, so we need
> > a fix for v5.12.
>
> Sure, I can test a fix after I get your thoughts on the above.

I think you've got the right idea about my concern above.  Thanks,

Alex