Note that there are two completely separate sysctls here - the timeout on fragments, and the amount of memory available for fragment reassembly. You have to multiply them together to reach the "Mbps of lost or deliberately-lost fragments before we start dropping all future fragments". See the calculation in the description of the patch I mentioned above for exact details, but turning the time down to 1s already gives you 32Mbps, and you can tune the memory usage separately (eg 128MB, really 256 between v4 and v6, would give you 1Gbps of "lost" fragments).

Its true, an attacker can use a lot of memory in that case, but 128MiB isn't actually something that rises to the level of "trivial for an attacker to use all the memory you allowed" or "cause OOM".

I only chimed in on this thread to note that this isn't just a theoretical attack concern, however - this is a real-world non-attack-scenario issue that's pretty trivial to hit. Just losing 1Mbps of traffic on a modern residential internet connection is pretty doable, make that flow mostly frags and suddenly your VPN drops out for 30 seconds at a time just because.

I agree with others here that actually solving the DoS issue isn't trivial, but making it less absurdly trivial to have 30 second dropouts of your VPN connection would also be a nice change.

Matt