On Monday 2023-10-09 17:14, Masahiro Yamada wrote:

>Let me add more context to my question.
>
>I am interested in the timing when
>'pkg-config --print-variables kmod | grep module_directory'
>is executed.
>
>1.  Build a SRPM on machine A
>2.  Copy the SRPM from machine A to machine B
>3.  Run rpmbuild on machine B to build the SRPM into a RPM
>4.  Copy the RPM from machine B to machine C
>5.  Install the RPM to machine C

In over 20 years of Linux distros existing, the one thing that
everyone has learned is that installing foreign RPM packages (or any
other format) is probably not going to work for one reason or
another. Different package names in Require: lines (just think of the
switch from modutils to kmod), different ABIs..

The overwhelming amount of package production that is going on these
days targets distro(A) == distro(B) == distro(C).

Yeah, the kernel package is kinda special because the files in it
are freestanding executables, but still..