On Mon, 9 Jul 2012, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> sizeof without parenthesis is an abomination, and should never be used.
>
> Sure, you don't need to have the parenthesis (except when you do - for
> actual types), but it's a parsing oddity.
>
> The sane solution is: just add the f*cking parenthesis, and don't use
> the parsing oddity.
>
> The parenthesis are *required* when it is a type, and they are a nice
> clarification (and makes the code easier to read) when it's an
> expression. Not having them is insane, because it just makes it clear
> how odd the parsing rules are for the two different cases.

It's only strange looking because Documentation/CodingStyle doesn't use
the gcc, glibc, C99, K&R, etc, style of doing "sizeof (struct foo)" and
rather requires "sizeof(struct foo)".

> Think of it as a function, and get over your idiotic pissing match
> over how long you've both known C. That's irrelevant. It's a C builtin
> function with (unnecessarily) odd parsing rules that the kernel tries
> to standardize. The fact that it can take a type is the least odd part
> of it (there are other built-in C extensions that look like functions
> and do special things with the arguments they get -
> __builtin_constant_p(), __builtin_choose_expr() etc - they don't
> evaluate the *value* of the argument either).

The only thing I've asked for is that something like this be added to
Documentation/CodingStyle and not just in checkpatch.pl since hardly
anybody uses that perl script.  You've chosen to mandate
"sizeof(struct foo)" over "sizeof (struct foo)" in that document, which
makes parenthesis for all unary expressions of the sizeof operator
stylistically better as well, so it's only reasonable to ask that it
mandates them for all unary expressions of sizeof.  It's your kernel.
(That will be an exception for sizeof unary expressions, though, since we
certainly don't want to mandate (i++).)

So, as I've been saying the whole thread, please either mandate it kernel-
wide in the CodingStyle or don't do it in checkpatch.  Checkpatch
continually acts as a backdoor way of people enforcing their own
preferences over others.