On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:42:48AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 9 Aug 2012 09:36:42 +0200,
> Thierry Reding wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:31:30AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Yeah, but it doesn't justify this ugly module option.
> > > It's a simple bug.  Papering over it with this option doesn't fix
> > > anything.
> >
> > It's not an option, all it does is defer probing if and only if the
> > patch parameter was specified to make sure the firmware load won't
> > stall. I realize that this may not be an optimal solution, but at least
> > it fixes the problem with no fallout.
>
> Ah sorry, I misread the patch.
>
> Then it shouldn't be checked at that point.  Since 3.5 kernel, the
> probing code was already split for vga_switcheroo support.

Yes, I saw that. But unless you actually use vga_switcheroo, the second
stage, azx_probe_continue(), will still be called from azx_probe() and
therefore ultimately from module_init().

Before coming up with this patch I actually did play around a bit with
using the asynchronous firmware load functions but it turned out to be
rather difficult to do so I opted for the easy way. The biggest problem
I faced was that since patch loading needs to be done very early on, a
lot of the initialization would need to be done after .probe() and many
things could still fail, so cleaning up after errors would become
increasingly difficult.

> The point you added is the second stage.

I don't understand this sentence.

Thierry