On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Peter Senna Tschudin
<peter.se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Peter Senna Tschudin
>> <peter.se...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> With or without a script, there is no default way of finding the short
>>> name. Changing scripts/get_maintainer.pl to do it does not seems very
>>> complex.
>>>

>> Perhaps you should do get_maintainer.pl changes yourself and then
>> use it to test on some of your patches to see what subject it produces.
> What are your doubts about this method of getting the short name?

No doubts so far since I haven't seen it in action.
Some script results and more examples could help.

>> Then it's easier to see if the proposal makes sense.
>> A new rule / standard is something hard to push and we want to have as much
>> facts as possible to make better decisions.
> The fact is that currently there is no standard way of getting the
> short name for a subsystem. My proposal fixes it allowing to look on
> the MAINTAINERS file to see what short name to use.

There is no standard way of getting short name, and there isn't standard
way of naming a patch either.

Just looking through media list I can spot lots of different subject schemes:
  [media] foo: fix some bug
  media: foo: fix some bug
  foo: fix some bug
  Some random text and fix some bug