On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 09:23:36AM +0200, Paul Bolle wrote:

> > But gcc doesn't know what "useless input" means, semantically.

> Correct. When this function is compiled gcc has to take into account
> that 'val_len' will be called with useless input, like zero.

> By the way, GCC doesn't warn if I add an early check whether 'val_count'
> is non-zero:

That's a much more useful fix, bodging things by just forcing things to
be assigned (especially with the way you were converting the immediate
returns) is generally terrible - it's just shutting up the errors
without actually fixing any issues that really exist and means that if
the compiler ever notices actual issues we won't see them.