On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Michael D. Setzer II
<msetze...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The project currently includes 10 different kernels, and prior to my
> taking it over in 2004, it was the same basic setup. Don't really
> know the whole proces that would be required to convert the
> standalone kernels to kernels using moduals. Setting up the
> moduals and the process to load them, which the kernel now does
> automatically. Project has 800 to 1000+ downloads per week.
>
> I see it load the firmware, and the it shows loading the ramdisk
> file, before the probing happens, but don't know if loading the
> ramdisk is the same as making the rootfs available with the

>From the log, looks your kernel loads firmware from fs directly, so
it should be same between ramdisk and rootfs.

> /lib/firmware directory.  Know that is the directory that distros
> seem to use, but perhaps the kernel is using other location.
> Message doesn't specify where it was looking for kernel?

Below is the default path to search firmware by kernel:

static const char *fw_path[] = {
        "/lib/firmware/updates/" UTS_RELEASE,
        "/lib/firmware/updates",
        "/lib/firmware/" UTS_RELEASE,
        "/lib/firmware"
};

>> As far as I know, now the preferred approach is to build the
>> driver as module for the issue, or you can introduce probe
>> deferral in driver to solve the problem.
>>

> Don't write the drivers, so don't know if this is an option. I've only
> heard of this issue with the bnx2x driver with HP servers and only
> with a couple of users. So, perhaps just manually adding the
> bnx2x.

You can try to make bnx2x as module to see if you problem can be fixed,
and probe deferral for loading firmware is still not ready.

Ming Lei